Monday, February 24, 2014

February 17- February 23

Last weeks class session was extremely refreshing. To enjoy everyone's poetry was such an eye-opening experience. I had no idea there were so many artists in one classroom! I was able to experience the poems come alive because of the use of the different poetic techniques and elements. I completely underestimated the power of alliteration until I chose to use them to bring my poems  "She Was There" and " Your'e the One That I Want" to life. In "She Was There", I used alliteration to replicate the sound of breathing in the line "... be here, hovering over her", which became a particularly powerful element to a poem that is describing the experience of feeling death linger (I didn't realize how much it added until after I finished it). Even the assonance in that line totally brings more air to the words and adds to a pattern of inconsistent breath that one would encounter when inching closer and closer to death. In "Your're the One That I Want", I used alliteration as a tool that further illustrated a sense of the speaker being mentally stuck in the same cognitive place in her mind. The line that states "hyperventilating in disbelief and disappointment and disdain and disembodied" has a lot of repetition in sound that represents her thoughts being in this continual loop that she can't move past. The stressed and unstressed syllables in the words with the "d" sound also resembles the sound of a person hyperventilating of read in one breath. I definitely learned a lot about they way different techniques can appeal to more of the senses and better allow the audience to connect and feel the work

1 comment: